Thursday 23 February 2012

He's my Pointless friend...

I love quizzes. TV quizzes, pub quizzes, quiz machines, newspaper quizzes. QUIZ! Maybe that makes me an 85 year old women who waits for Countdown everyday but I don’t care. It’s like learning (sort of). I like to think I’ve got a good general knowledge. But where I think I excel is in my movie knowledge. And my favourite quiz show on TV at the moment is Pointless. Anyone who doesn’t know this show; you are missing a treat. Hosted by Alexander Armstrong and assisted by his Pointless friend Richard Osman the aim of the game is to try and get an answer no one else can think of. It used to languish on BBC 2 but the powers that be knew they had something special and moved it to BBC 1. Now in HD!

pointless

It’s amazingly entraining. Alexander and Richard are a great duo, they have an array of contestations and a broad range of questions. So, Pointless isn’t exclusively film questions but I love it when they turn up to test my knowledge. Me and my other half are always bitterly disappointed when we don't get a Pointless film answer. I always think maybe we should apply but we’d be gutted if we didn’t get any movie questions. We would be rubbish at Geography (A level be damned!). The only answers I could give are ones I remember from other Pointless shows- Congo, Central Republic of Africa, St Vincent and the Grenadines.

My favourite answer was when, from a list, you had to guess what book a character was from. The book title would also be a description of the character as an extra clue. Bilbo Baggins was the character, so what did the contestant say? “Bilbo Baggins played Frodo in Lord of the Rings.” What an answer. The subjects of trousers was also a highlight.

Also, why do people always want to see musicals are a subject? They are always rubbish at them.
The last round is when they have to choose a topic and find just one Pointless answer with 3 tries. I wish they would put all the Pointless answers online, just to test my knowledge.

The other day the final round subject was Film. How we laughed, until the question came up. Name the actors in The Great Escape; we literally had no idea, apart from the obvious. We had failed at Pointless on a film question. It’s unusual for us both to know nothing on a film. We were gutted. It’s now on our Lovefilm list.

We still love Pointless, and Pointless Celebrities is the greatest title of a TV show ever. Well done for not calling it Celebrity Pointless.

And don’t forget, by country we mean a sovereign state as recognised by the UN.

No comments:

Post a Comment