Monday 19 March 2012

My Year in Books- 3 Months in

At the beginning of the year I set myself a target of reading a book a week. I wanted to read some classics which I think I really should have read more of; maybe some Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen. I also wanted to read some Sherlock books, more of Philippa Gregory, Game of Thrones among many others and some great suggestions from Twitter. So we're on week 10 and I'm quite chuffed to say I've read 12 books. I've read 4 thrillers, 3 Sherlock Holmes books, a couple of girly reads and a picture book (I think that counts), among others.

I've already talked about Sweet Valley Confidential (which I HATED, just in case you wanted to know). I loved Caitlin Moran's book How To Be A Woman; brilliantly funny and very honest. I laughed out loud most of the way through it. It's on my other half's "to read" pile especially after I told him about what she used the word "China" for.

Finally got round to reading Jurassic Park. Anyone who knows me knows it's my favourite ever film so there wasn't really much excuse for me not to have read it. It was great, quite different in places and book John Hammond isn't as lovely as Richard Attenborough's John Hammond but it's still a great read. I'm allowed to say I prefer the film though, right?

The Sherlock Holmes books have been fun, easy reads too. Made me wish I had read them earlier. Watching RDJ and Benedict Cumberbatch's versions make me feel like I know some of the stories already so that probably helps.

With some of the other books that have turned into films; the problem I had was that I remember the film's ending so vividly I end up waiting for certain things to happen. Gone, Baby, Gone was one that really suffered from this. The end of the film is strong, I knew most of the story was just empty build up. A great book it's just I remembered too much of the film.

Philippa Gregory really has a beautiful way of bringing history come alive. Highly recommend trying some of her books, I'd start with The Other Boleyn Girl and try the rest of the Tudor Court novels.

Also I've read a couple of Charlaine Harris' new herorine Lily Bard. The stories are set in the town of Shakespeare (I know, just go with it) and are more crime than supernatural. In fact, if you're looking for more vampires and werewolves and fairies you're best off with Sookie. But if you're willing to try another girl, you won't be disappointed. Quick and easy to read, they are perfect holiday reads. The books are called Shakespeare's... And range from Landlord to Trollop. Interesting, no??

One other book I wanted to mention was the amazingly fantastic picture book, I Want My Hat Back. Go into Waterstones, find it and buy it. Any kids book that has a character going red with rage is going to be alright with me.

My to-read list for the next quarter:
  • A Charles Dickens book, probably Great Expectations.
  • Start, and hopefully this time finish, Game Of Thrones.
  • Pick up something totally random just because the cover is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment