Saturday 3 November 2012

Strictly Come Dancing: Upping The Production Values For Halloween.

Saturday night TV is always the biggest night of the week and Strictly Come Dancing Vs the X Factor has been going on for years. X Factor has had a lead over its BBC rival for a little while but the tide seems to be turning. SCD has been quietly sneaking up on its more teen friendly foe but this series it’s done one better and actually over taken it. And kept the lead. 

Personally, I’ve never been much of a fan of SCD. I did enjoy the first series but I always kept with X Factor as I thought that was more enjoyable. Loud, full of pop culture references, OTT drama and some truly stupid characters I was always going to choose X Factor over SCD. It was the new Pop Idol and Popstars, and I loved those shows. 

SCD 1
SCD does Thriller... Not the most original but does it matter when it's done this good?
However, I watched SCD with it being a Halloween special and I have to say I was impressed. They really got involved in the theme (which X Factor DID NOT). The costumes, the make up, the song choices, the staging; it was all brilliant. Okay, so I’m not really fussed with the celebrities; I think this show could work with just the general public again. Fern Britton, the cricketer or the soap stars don’t really do it for me. The Olympians are a nice touch but Victoria Pendleton is a bit weepy, I can’t be doing with too much of that. Lisa Riley is a revelation and I’m so glad she is a good dancer and has not turned into a joke act. 

Let’s be clear though. SCD is not perfect. Far from it. There are some truly cringe worthy performances in the “comedy” VTs that the insist on doing. I hate them so much; it made the staged conversations on the X Factor look natural. So they could go. I have no problem seeing how they’ve got on through the week with training, but you lot aren’t comedians so don’t try and be funny. 

There is one other problem for me with SCD and that’s Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly. I have never seen a more awful presenting duo. Even Des and Mel were better than these two (well, maybe not). Is Bruce messing up the jokes, the joke? If so it’s really uncomfortable. I know he’s nearly 90 but really I think it’s time for some new blood. I just have this horrible vision of him falling over when he’s dancing. Bring in Anton, we all know that's where it's heading. And Tess seems like the most insincere person ever; I would not be able to watch if rumors were true and her husband Vernon Kay got the job. They are the smuggest couple on TV and I couldn’t handle it. Claudia Winkleman would be a better presenter. 

SCD 2
I just can't stand them, alright???
The only thing that I really could have done without is the god awful Gangnam Style dance Bruce and Tess did. I’ve talked about my hatred for this and thought SCD would not have gone there but gone there they did. 

SCD is not everyone’s cup of tea but then neither is the X Factor. I’ll watch this again, but hopefully they’ll easy up on the “hilarious” VTs. They are fucking awful. How can the BBC be so crap at comedy, then so amazing? It’s a mystery (machine). 


No comments:

Post a Comment